About the Gentle Sleep Coach Program
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most comprehensive, professional sleep coach training and certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training with a faculty panel that includes two medical doctors, a psychologist, an attorney, a lactation counselor, a group of postpartum doulas and a family therapist.
Each coach (in training) must pass an exam and participate in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. The Sleep Lady). Kim has been helping tired parents for over 17 years. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach ®.
Training topics included:
- Basic counselling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioural modification techniques to help parents of children age 0 to 6 years old.
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mothers
The training lectures from top specialists include:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr. Shoshana Bennett, author, and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in children led by Dr.Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- GERDÂ and Sleep led by Dr. Anthony Loizides, Paediatric Gastroenterology
4-5 Month Old Training Summary
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program also includes an exclusive advanced training series specifically focused on how to gently work with babies 4 and 5 months of age. This optional program, which I have also completed, consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship.
Training topics include:
- In-depth knowledge of the delicate nature of infants under 6 months of age and how to consider all elements of their well-being.
- Current evidence-based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate a 4-6-month-old child and family to determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This speciality training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, the education. and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families with babies 4-6- months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.